Tuesday 24 July 2012

Author Interview: Joseph Gattuso

Joseph Gattuso is twenty years old and wrote EGGNOG during the Fall semester of his sophomore year at Robert Morris University.
All pictures supplied by author.

Blurb:
Seventeen-year-old Jobe has an unorthodox relationship with God based on intellect and art more so than salvation, and with the help of God he can reach a heightened perspective of humanity and life. However the closer and closer he gets to that higher understanding the more his mind slips away.


Do you plan everything or just let the story flow?

Well, my first book I wrote about 25 short stories, and an ending. I then weaved together all the short stories like a quilt. The book I’m writing now I’m letting flow, but I have vague ideas of things I want to happen.

Do your characters ever want to take over the story?

I knew beforehand that the main character of my first book was going to devour the story. It works though because he is the protagonist, antagonist, and even lots of his romance is with remnants of his mind.

What is your favourite food?

This is an impossible question. I’ll say a Primanti Sandwich. Not from Primanti brothers, but Front Side Deli - a little place where I live.

Are you a morning person or a night owl?

I’m a pretty extreme night owl.

Where do you dream of travelling to and why?

Italy. I’m Italian but have never been there before. For the same reason, I’m starting to learn to speak Italian now.

Do distant places feature in your books?

Yes, the book I’m writing now is in Chicago and Japan.

Do you listen to music while writing?

Always. I listen to David Bowie, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, The Beatles, and MGMT mostly.

Could you tell us a bit about your latest release?

My book “Eggnog” is on amazon, kindle, and smashwords. I’ve just started my first blog and am trying to get into the writing/reading community.

What have you learned about writing and publishing since you first started?

I learned that writing query letters is a task from hell. I wrote my first book in about 5 weeks. That was seven months ago and I still don’t have a query letter that I’m comfortable with sending out to agents.

Is there anything you would do differently?

I would have written the query letter before I finished the book.

Who, or what, if anything has influenced your writing?

Ernest Hemingway, and all the wonderful music I’ve listened to and brilliant movies I’ve watched. Interviews of people like David Bowie and Brian Eno and Marlon Brando and other geniuses help a lot. I think that art all connects so acting isn’t that much different than writing, or cooking, or martial arts. I’m just kidding about martial arts.

Anything you would say to those just starting out in the craft?

If you complain about not being able to sit down and write a story from start to finish then I’d recommend my quilt technique that I used for my first book. I think it can make the daunting task easier to tackle.

What's your favourite book or who is your favourite writer?

Fahrenheit 451 is my favorite book and Ernest Hemingway is my favorite writer. I read his autobiography “A Moveable Feast” and his first novel “The Sun Also Rises” while writing “Eggnog.”

Any websites/places readers can find you on the web.

http://refreshingonion.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Joseph. Good luck with your books!

No comments:

Post a Comment