Thursday 19 November 2015

Book Spotlight: Rebecca's Initiation by Gary Green





About the Book
Title: Rebecca’s Initiation
Author: Gary Green
Genre: YA Fantasy

Rebecca’s Initiation is a fast paced fantasy adventure about a young girl who loses her mother in a car accident and has to go live with her grandmother. Her grandmother, Naomi, is an extraordinary woman who lets Rebecca in on her secret and initiates her into a world of magic populated with fairies, gnomes, elves and a dragon.

Rebecca soon learns that her mother’s death was not an accident and that she was the intended victim. An ancient god has marked her for death and without the help of her new magical friends she is doomed. She has to learn how to defend herself—and learn fast. Rebecca’s Initiation will keep you guessing from beginning to end.

Excerpt:


“One day Dad and I were out in the cow pasture bringing the cows in to be milked. There was a cow grazing by the edge of the woods. I went over to get her when a wolf jumped out of the bushes. He was growling and foaming at the mouth and was clearly stalking me. I screamed and froze. He was still about fifty feet away, but I knew I couldn’t outrun him. We knew there were wolves in the woods but mostly they left us alone. This one clearly had rabies.

Dad shouted, ‘Hold still, I’m coming.’

I could see he had picked up a stick and was running toward me. Then it happened. There was an ear-splitting roar. I looked up to see Cedric diving from the sky. He landed between me and the wolf. He roared again and picked up the wolf with his mouth. He crunched him with his teeth and swallowed him whole. Then he turned around and winked at me.

‘Get away from that thing,’ my dad shouted. He was panting when he got to me. He grabbed me and started pulling me away from Cedric. He brandished that stick and shouted to Cedric, ‘Keep away.’

Really, I don’t know what he thought he was going to do with that stick, but he was protecting his daughter. I started to protest. I tried to tell him Cedric wasn’t dangerous, that he was my friend. He wasn’t hearing me.

Cedric looked at us with a cold expression in his red eyes and flew away.

The next day there was a gathering at the church. Cedric had been seen, not only by my dad but some of our neighbors.

‘That thing is a menace. It could have swallowed us whole just like it swallowed that wolf.’ Dad told the crowd.

‘What was it?’

‘I say it was the Devil.’

‘Devil or not, something that big has to have a big appetite. It will soon be eating our livestock or even our children.’

I tried to protest, but no one listened to me. They were scared and often fear can quickly turn to violence. Soon they developed a plan to hunt Cedric and kill him. I was heartsick. I had to warn him.

Later that day I was told to stay in the house while they hunted my friend, but as soon as I could I snuck out. I ran to the hill and Cedric was there as usual.

‘Cedric wake up.’ I said. ‘They are coming for you.’

***


Author Bio

It has been a long journey from depressed, lonely and alcoholic farm-boy to internationally known, award winning author. Using insight he gained from his own struggle he helped hundreds of individuals move from misery to joy during the many years he worked in the human services field. During his journey he also taught many other care-givers how to improve their ability to help others.

During this time he became a practiced listener and a good story teller.

Now he divides his time between his small farm and writing inspiring and educational books.

His writings have helped many learn the skills needed to:

Reduce feelings of worthlessness and isolation
Increase feelings of happiness
Conquer addictions
Reach new levels of spiritual understanding
Improve relationships
Find hope

He has long lived by the motto “Inspire Joyful Sanity”. So, what the heck does that mean? Well, the inspire part is obvious. His definition of sanity is to understand and accept the universe and the rules that make it work. The joyful part refers to the idea that joy is the default state of the human mind. The idea is that as you understand and accept the rules of the universe you remove the barriers to being in a joyful state. His goal is to inspire joyful sanity in himself and others.

His first books were inspirational self-help. However, all his life he has been a fan of sci-fi and fantasy. Rebecca’s Initiation is his first attempt at writing fiction and the first of a planned series called Redemption.


Links
my website: https://authorgarygreen.wordpress.com/
my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Gary-Green-159863234040/timeline/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26209773-rebecca-s-initiation

No comments:

Post a Comment