Guest Post for Books and Tales: Thomas Briar – In the Age of Hysteria
Hi there. My name is Thomas Briar and I write erotic romance stories. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and visit with me.
Today I have hysteria on my mind. So if you’re willing to indulge me, I want to take you back to a time when sexual frustration in women was classified as a disease…
The month is June, the year 1878, and the place Boston, Massachusetts. We’re now standing beside a gravel street in an urban community. The mid-morning sunlight is warm on our faces. People are walking along, riding in carriages, and a few are even on horseback.
Ah, there’s Joseph coming directly toward us. He’s in his early twenties, has curly black hair, a handsome angular face, and dark blue eyes. The gray suit and tie he’s wearing lends the impression of wealth and affluence, which makes perfect sense because he’s recently graduated from medical college at the top of his class. So why is he trudging along looking lost and forlorn?
Hold onto that thought as we switch focus onto the young lady coming up behind him in her fine carriage. Her name is Mary. She has curly blonde hair and beautiful features that are enhanced by stunning blue/gray eyes. Plus, she’s wearing a sky-blue cuirass bodice dress, dainty gloves, and a fashionable lady’s hat. Yeah, by all appearances she’s high society. So why is she slowing down to speak to Joseph? He’s beneath her status, isn’t he?
Wait a second…did you just experience the sensation that something is fixing to transpire between them that will enrich both of their lives too?
That’s how all romantic relationships begin, right? Two people meet and end up spending time together. From their spending time together mutual admiration develops. And from this mutual admiration blossoms love. Yep, I don’t think true love can blossom without mutual admiration first.
Now, I just happened to have already written down Joseph’s and Mary’s story for your reading pleasure. Published by MuseItHot Publishing in the summer of 2013, it’s a 25,541 word erotic romance novella that I titled In the Age of Hysteria.
So please feel free to read the back cover blurb and excerpt. Also, it might interest you to check out my website to peruse all of the books I’ve published along with the ones I have coming out later this year.
Oh yeah, don’t forget to register to win a free copy of ITAOH. Thanks again for visiting with me!
In The Age Of Hysteria
Genre: Historical Erotic Romance
Publisher: MuseItHOT Publishing
Date of Publication: 6-28-13
Number of pages: 139
Word Count: 25,541
Cover Artist: Marion Sipe
Dr. Joseph Brenner, a twenty-two year old graduate of medical college, has a natural gift for treating hysteria, circa 1878. The only problem is none of his peers in Boston, Massachusetts will offer him an assistantship due to a supposed moral indiscretion on his part. Without obtaining an assistantship he cannot enter the medical field to build a reputation as a competent doctor. Or, so he believes.
The beautiful and affluent Ms. Mary Pyre, a twenty-six year old businesswoman, has heard whispers of Joseph's proficiency in treating the disease. She seeks Joseph out and hires him as the attending physician at her Women's Health and Revitalizing Spa. Though Joseph and Mary are attracted to each other, unfortunate circumstances make them keep their romantic feelings for one another at arm's length. It is only when he learns she needs his expertise to overcome her chronic sexual impotence toward men that their relationship has an opportunity to move forward.
Available at MuseItHOT | Amazon | BN
About the Author:
Edgy and provocative in his writings, Thomas Briar strives to exalt the virtues of love and lust in every erotic story he creates. To date, he's garnered eleven publishing contracts with three different publishers and has seven published books in the marketplace.
When he's not writing, he enjoys spending time with his wife, reading, taking long walks, and people watching. Yeah, he's always wondering what makes people do the things they do. He knows it's usually something hidden in plain sight. He just has to figure out what it is, much like the motivations of the characters in his stories.
Five Revelations from Thomas Briar
• I was once a very religious young man. The ladies in the church I attended wore their hair in buns and their dress-tails brushed against the hardwood floor. Considering the explicit sexual content in my books, who would ever suspect that I came from such an austere environment…right?
• At twenty-five years of age I discovered Zalman King's Red Shoe Diaries and Anais Nin. The course of my life was forever altered. However, due to my religious upbringing, I suffered quite the emotional dilemma: either reinvent myself into who I wanted to be or continue to live out my life in religious austerity. I honestly believe I made the right choice.
• My wife is the most fun I've ever had. And I suspect she always will be. I met her when I was twenty-two and she was nineteen. I knew I was going to marry her three weeks into our relationship but I waited eight months before I actually asked for her hand in marriage. We've been together twenty-one years. She's the love of my life.
• I'm no stranger to manual labor. My father put me to work at six years old. I chuckle now whenever I think back at how I considered it a travesty that my younger brother didn't have to start working until he was seven. My brother and I are still the best of friends all these many years later.
• I love writing erotica and erotic romance. Every time I publish a new story I feel like I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.
Amazon Author Page
10 ecopies of In The Age Of Hysteria
a Rafflecopter giveaway