Thinking of Becoming a Writer?
by Maggie Thom
If you are thinking about becoming a writer or maybe you're a writer but really don't consider yourself one, there are some things that you should know. Writing is one of those crafts that is truly amazing and can take you away to so many places. The best part is that you get to create people, places, things, creatures and you get to decide what happens to them all. But it's not as simple as people make it sound.
1. Writing is an amazing craft but it takes a lot of time and dedication to it, so be prepared to park your behind to do it.
2. Procrastination will become your best friend... avoid it at all costs. It really is rather devious as you will find that you become very proficient at other skills - like cleaning, laundry, doing errands, washing your dog, etc. - all things you'd never thought would be something you'd end up doing for hours just to avoid writing.
3. Some people will love your work and some people won't, recognize that your writing isn't for everyone. And that's okay.
4. Friends and family will try to help but know that you will be given a lot of advice as to what type of stories you should write or how you should add in some new elements into the one you have.
5. Talk to readers and talk to authors, get as much feedback as you can about what they like to read and what makes a compelling story.
6. Get feedback on the stories that you write, find readers and writers to give you feedback. Try to make sure that those people are willing to give you honest, constructive criticism. It will truly help you to strengthen and expand your writing.
The best advice I can give is to focus on your writing and your love of writing, it truly will make it so much easier. Some different things may happen that can be discouraging but try not to focus on the negative. Learn your craft, practice your craft, do your craft and share your craft. Know that you have a gift and you get to decide what to do with it but also know that stepping into your gifts and talents will be the greatest gift you can give yourself. Write for the love of it.
by Maggie Thom
Book #1 The Caspian Wine Series
Date Published: October 2012
She was kidnapped not once but twice and now someone wants her dead because of it...
Her life was a lie!
Bailey knew her upbringing wasn’t normal but she’s worked hard to stabilize her life. At 29, she finally has a good business, a stable home; her life is miles from that of her childhood. Then suddenly her mother dies, leaving a gaping hole and a discovery that they may not even be related. If Guy, the private investigator is to be believed, her life is a lie. Using the skills she learned on the streets, Bailey travels back through a sketchy and dangerous past, to find answers. Dodging bullets, staying ahead of those who want her dead and convincing Guy she can do it alone, are making it difficult to discover not only the secrets of her mother’s past but that of a family claiming she is theirs.
Everyone seems to have a story... but who’s telling the truth? And who wants her dead? Is Guy part of the solution? Or part of the problem? To discover the facts, she’ll have to untangle a web of deceit, lies, and secrets, dating back over thirty years.
But can she do it in time...
Captured Lies won Book of the Month LAS Reviews (March 2014)
"This is a story that when you start to read it you don’t want to put it down until you finish it." Cindy's Reviews
"Captured Lies is a very edge of your seat sort of book... I was totally enthralled with this book..." Tammy's Tea Time
"Maggie Thom has a hidden gem with Captured Lies!... Like an onion, each layer of this action-packed tale becomes more involved, more wickedly deceitful and more dangerous..." Tome Tender
"Captured Lies is an outstanding book and it was a book I couldn't put down..." Dee Sauter (Moderator Linda Howard Book Junkies)
Award winning author, Maggie Thom, took the challenge and leapt off, leaving a fulltime, twenty year career in management, to write full time. After publishing her first suspense/thriller book Captured Lies, October 2012, she published her second novel, Tainted Waters, April, 2013. Tainted Waters went on to win 2013 Suspense and Thriller Book of the Year through Turning the Pages Magazine and Captured Lies won book of the Month through LAS Reviews (February 2014). She published her third novel, Deceitful Truths (The Caspian Wine Series - Book 2), March 2014.
An avid reader and writer her whole life, she decided to break the monotony of wishing to be an author by making it happen. She is a wholehearted nature lover and likes nothing better than to take a book, hike to a remote spot by a river or waterfalls and read. Married to her best friend, she is learning that humor, love and patience help her navigate her way through her twins’ teen years. Her motto: Escape to read and Read to escape. "Maggie Thom writes a fast paced thriller laced with romance that keeps the reader interested and on edge!" InDtale Magazine
Google +: https://plus.google.com/+MaggieThom/posts
Amazon | BN | Kobo | Smashwords | iTunes
a Rafflecopter giveaway